PUPPPs Relief Mission

PUPPPs is my thing.
I don't really want it to be my thing, but after having it with ALL of my pregnancies, it's my thing. I am a mom of 4 little girls, and I'm pregnant with my fifth sweet, tiny person. There are so many women out there suffering from PUPPPs and very few places dedicated to information about PUPPPs. My goal is to provide a one-stop-shop for information and conversation about this horrid rash.

July 18, 2014

Skin brushing

File this one under humor. Or irony. 



I'm always on the look-out for itchy skin cures. I got a tip to look into dry skin brushing, and off I went to google. 

At first, I was rather intrigued. OooOooo, I thought. It's supposed to increase circulation and help move lymph? Well, that's great for detoxing! This could be an awesome addition to my PUPPPs treatment routine! And it helps minimize cellulite also? Bonus! 

Here's a link that describes it's benefit in more detail: dry skin brushing

Other itchy people even seemed to like it! Eczema sufferers were touting it's benefits: dry brushing for eczema


I did run across some skeptics. This article had a few quotes from dermatologists that were not super confident in the miraculous claims that the skin brushing fans were spouting: NY Times article

After taking it all in, I examined the nitty gritty more closely. And I laughed. 

Ok, so, step 1 seemed to be getting a naturally bristled brush (like my trusty boar-bristled favorite). Check. 

Step 2. Starting at the ends of your extremities, brush towards your heart. Hmm. Ok. Simple enough. I'm already using my hairbrush to scratch like crazy, so I'm half way there!

Then the cautions. Be sure to avoid current outbreaks of any rashes (like eczema...and PUPPPs!?) or sensitive areas. Haha! 

So then, where does the miserable PUPPPs sufferer have left to brush??? One's fingernails?? The tips of our noses??

Uh huh. 

Well, perhaps skin brushing to cure PUPPPs is out. I am curious if anyone out there has used it successfully in their non-itchy lives to good effect. Any miraculous cellulite disappearances? Anyone?

And that is how my evening of research turned into a wry chuckle. Goodnight, fellow itchy people!

No comments:

Post a Comment