PUPPPs Relief Mission

PUPPPs is my thing.
I don't really want it to be my thing, but after having it with ALL of my pregnancies, it's my thing. I am a mom of 4 little girls, and I'm pregnant with my fifth sweet, tiny person. There are so many women out there suffering from PUPPPs and very few places dedicated to information about PUPPPs. My goal is to provide a one-stop-shop for information and conversation about this horrid rash.

July 12, 2014

PUPPPs & Epidurals

Here's a little something for those of you considering an epidural for pain relief in labor.

This 2006 case study from the Canadian Journal of Anesthesia follows the experience of one woman with PUPPPs. She had been on strong steroids for the rash, which lowered her immune system. Her lowered immune system allowed some nasty bacteria to take root at the site of her epidural. She got an infection that required surgery within a week or two of her baby being born!

Here's a visual of where an epidural is usually placed:
(image from pregnancy.about.com)


Keep in mind, this is just one woman, but the article makes the point that an epidural with a compromised immune system can have additional risks. So talk to your doctor about that before you decide!

Here's the article: link

No comments:

Post a Comment