PUPPPs Relief Mission

PUPPPs is my thing.
I don't really want it to be my thing, but after having it with ALL of my pregnancies, it's my thing. I am a mom of 4 little girls, and I'm pregnant with my fifth sweet, tiny person. There are so many women out there suffering from PUPPPs and very few places dedicated to information about PUPPPs. My goal is to provide a one-stop-shop for information and conversation about this horrid rash.

September 16, 2014

How often does PUPPPs reoccur??



In my perusal of what PUPPPs mommas are talking about on various sites, I've noticed that lots of us are concerned about getting the horrible rash again if they have more kiddos. It's a big deal! No one wants to face it again! I'm certainly not a good example, since I break all the typical PUPPPs "norms." (This is my 4th bout with PUPPPs for anyone not familiar with my story...)

But what does the research say? How likely is it really that you would get PUPPPs again with your next pregnancy? 

Well, mommas, be encouraged. It's pretty rare. Here's the scoop:

According to this study, they followed 19 patients for 6 years after their PUPPPs pregnancy, and none of them had a recurrence. 

In this study, only 3 out of 57 patients experience a recurrence. 

Those are the only articles I could find that cited actual numbers. However, I did read dozens more that simply stated that recurrence in subsequent pregnancies was rare. Mommas that get it again are the EXCEPTION to the rule. You can even see on the poll on the right side of my page (when viewing the web version, not the mobile version) that only 20% of voters have gotten it more than once. And that's NOT scientific data.

It would be great if we had more data to work with, but for now the research seems to show that you shouldn't be worried about getting it again. For most people, it's a one-time misery. 

2 comments:

  1. My first, I only had it postpartum and it was just my legs. I am 35 weeks into my second pregnancy and it has shown its ugly face again. Ugh. This is terrible! Thank you for writing about your experience though. Makes me feel like I'm not alone, even if this was written an year ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone! I'll be thinking about you today! I'm so sorry you're experiencing it again. Such misery! I may have written that a year ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday!

      Delete