PUPPPs Relief Mission

PUPPPs is my thing.
I don't really want it to be my thing, but after having it with ALL of my pregnancies, it's my thing. I am a mom of 4 little girls, and I'm pregnant with my fifth sweet, tiny person. There are so many women out there suffering from PUPPPs and very few places dedicated to information about PUPPPs. My goal is to provide a one-stop-shop for information and conversation about this horrid rash.

June 30, 2014

Ice packs are your friend...


One thing I started with the first round of PUPPPs was keeping a small cooler of ice packs by my bed at night. It was the only thing that would calm the itch when it woke me up. This way I'd be able to go back to sleep faster and get longer chunks of sleep at night. I slept with it there long after the itch was bearable at night, like a security blanket. I recommend at least 5 ice packs to make it through the night. 

Here are a few that I really liked. 

This one is made of clay and had a nice elastic strap to keep it in place after you fall asleep with it on. It stays cold reasonably well.


This guy isn't the longest lasting, but I liked that you didn't need to wrap it in a towel. It is also very flexible. 


Now, this sucker lasts a LONG time. Rock hard after hours. But it isn't flexible like the others, and you will need to have something between it and your skin, so keep that in mind. Even if you don't use in on your rash, it will keep your cooler super chilly so that your other ice packs are plenty cold in the wee hours of the morning. 


I can't over-emphasize what a difference this method made for my sleep! No getting out of bed to take cold showers. No getting out of bed at all! I'd only wake up long enough to crack the cooler lid and slap on an ice pack. Having nursed 3 babies through the night til 10 months old, I can say it's a rather similar amount of sleep. (Not that you need practice at sleep deprivation!!) But sleep equals sanity, and sanity is something all PUPPPs sufferers need in giant helpings! Wishing you all better sleep!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome ice pack review! Thanks for all the helpful tips. :-) gonna have to remember this

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Can you use BioFreeze? Is it safe? I believe it is just menthol and it feels sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, the use of menthol during pregnancy gets mixed reviews. I'd ask your doc to see what their opinion is on the matter. Personally, I have used menthol products on my rash with pretty good relief. I imagine Biofreeze would be in that category. The one thing you DO want to watch out for with methol type products is wintergreen. Wintergreen has a very cooling effect, but it's main ingredient is the same chemical compound that is in aspirin. That is not considered safe in pregnancy, especially in the last trimester, I believe. Hope that's helpful!

      Delete